Man Died of Sepsis and Organ Failure Within Weeks of Being Licked by His Pet

By :

New Ebola Vaccine for Exposure Risk

A 63 year old man lost his life due to sepsis and multiple organ failure with in weeks of being licked by his pet dog. As usual we all do , he use to play with his pet. Shortly he reported feeling flu-like symptoms, including a fever and muscle aches. In short term it became more concerning symptoms like difficulty breathing, blisters on his face, and strange bruises on his lower body. He was hospitalized and treated with antibiotics. Despite being treated he went into septic shock and had a heart attack. His organs began to fail, and he suffered brain damage.

After four days of treatment doctors came to know that it was a type of bacteria common in the saliva of household cats and dogs, according to a case report published in September in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine. After 16 days of treatment, the man was taken off life support and died.

The bacteria, called Capnocytophaga, are common in pets, and can be spread through bites, scratches, or any contact with animal saliva. When spread to humans, about 25% of Capnocytophag infections are fatal. But fortunately, most people who come in contact with the bacteria don't get sick at all.

Rate UsDon’t love itNot greatGoodGreatLove itRate Us
Your opinion
arrow&v
arrow&v

PHAF Team

FDA Approves Audenz as First-Ever Adjuvanted, Cell-Based Pandemic Influenza A (H5N1) Vaccine

PHAF Team

Antibiotics In common cold – Yes or NO.

Dr. Ateendra Jha

Father's X chromosome has clues to autoimmune disease in females.

PHAF DIC Team

Self Medication

Dr. Ateendra Jha

Man Died of Sepsis and Organ Failure Within Weeks of Being Licked by His Pet

PHAF Team

WHO Launches New Polio Vaccine In 150 Countries

© 2019 PHAF  || All rights reserved

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Any medical information published on this website is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional.